Monday 13 July 2015

Communication 34


last letter to charlotte


Dear Charlotte


There was something that you never knew, 
that with each year that passed
I’d write a letter to you
I believe that you’ll be coming home soon
and still walk past your house to see
if there’s a light shining from your bedroom,
there’s so much I don’t want to share
and yet constant reminders of you everywhere,
I find myself hanging around the town
just to see if you’re around,
half expecting to see you aimlessly wandering,
or perched on a bench,
I can’t believe our names are still scratched
on the fence,
down by the school,
preserved in time, reading
“Charlotte 4 Paul”

These days I find myself thinking too much
and turning the pages back,
I still remember those summer evenings
when we would sit by the abandoned railway track
drinking cheap beer and talking
about the little of life we’d had,
there was always this low sun that made you
feel like life had just begun,
we really thought we knew it all,
still, with very little between us
you’d always joke about remembering me
“when I was rich and famous”
so from that day on a friendship was won
little did I know you’d be the first of us
to live fast and die young.

I doubt it will come as any surprise 
when I tell you that I have decided to leave
I changed a long time ago,
it just took time for me to realise
that change can take a while to show,
year in and year out these same old roads
continue to take new lives,
and I take the same old steps past where you lie,
they’ve put you overlooking the green
I hope that was ok,
I told them that was the place
you’d probably prefer to stay. 

I think you can tell that everyone wishes you well
and even though few now talk about you,
I know in the quiet times
you’re rarely far from people’s minds,
the year is now 2008, so much has changed,
time has come and gone
and there are still so many things that stop
me from moving on,
life as a whole is far from what I expected
most of my hopes and dreams have been neglected
and replaced with trying to scratch a living,
Charlotte you are not missing much
the world around us is very unforgiving.

This will be the last letter I write to you 
I think it’s probably best,
it’s about time I put you to rest
I have a photo of you that I will keep with me,
it’s the one I took that sunny afternoon,
just after school,
it was always so hard to take a picture
without you complaining that "you never look cool"
this one especially, I remember it well,
occasionally friends catch a glimpse of it
and ask of you, there’s not much to tell,
“Charlotte was a girl I knew”
she was in a bad accident,
it’s hard to accept
but the car was driving too fast
she broke her neck
died at the scene,
she’d just turned sixteen



In Loving Memory 



Paul


           


No comments:

Post a Comment