Graffiti Artist

she pulls me and pint

and I write some poetry

no one wants to read

 

what’s my toxin?”

 

“anything I can swallow,

make it a double chaser

for after the beer, no ice”

 

the heat from the whisky

severs the function of sobriety 

– who needs it?

you’ve got to sip slowly

drink responsibly 

– to begin with

and then maintain 

a subtle silence

waiting for words and letters

to drip from the skies,

I don’t need to ask

where, when or why?

they always arrive,

if at times 

a little late 

 

it’s a weekday afternoon 

and drinking etiquette 

would dictate that I have

an alcohol dependency issue,

nah! - I’m just piss bored

with the system, 

I’m dazed,

blinded by 

the sheer amount

of applications,

rattled to death

by bus timetables,

benign regulations

and the fidget of

Palestinian flags being 

thrust under my nostrils

all 

because 

some ancient ancestors 

once colonised a tiny chunk

of conglomerate rock 

.... god knows when!

 

it would appear

I’ve got to swallow

the propaganda whole

if I want to become 

‘one of them’

I tried it once, 

never again

I found myself being 

preoccupied with the pain 

of ‘office speak’ 

I started to notice 

my terrible punctuation

and I developed an intent 

fascination for Prince Harry 

and Meghan Markle, 

celebrity lives became 

more important than mine, 

he who snoozes loses

so, I kept a tally of 

budget cruises 

with food included, 

Nike Air trainers, 

self-driving Teslas,

haircuts, 

seasonal fashion

and chicken coup 

apartments

that look like human 

green houses

 

I decided I’d much rather 

spend my time writing poetry

that no one wants to read, 

I sit alone desperately 

trying to bleed,

scratching at my wrist 

with a blunt pencil

knowing full well 

I might as well be scribbling 

words with my own shit,

but, hey, you know 

what they say,

throw enough shit

at the wall

and some of it

might stick,

I may well change

my occupation

to ‘Graffiti Artist’

I reckon I’d be

a dab hand at it,

slinging shit at the walls

24/7 waiting for something 

to stick so passersby 

can take absolutely 

no notice of it,

kind of like my poetry

Comments

Popular Posts