Thursday 18 April 2019

Communication 149

pieces of me

pieces of me, dismembered memories
caged, a dancing bear I can’t set free,
the years have scattered me
upon the pages of another man’s story,
wide spread, lost in the Midwest, chapter by chapter
remains locked, I hate writers block
I remember the silos, star gazing in El Paso,
laying on my back on the dirt track
a highway leading to the great eternal ‘nowhere’,
destinations are simply shortfalls,
you can walk or get on your knees
and crawl,
we all end up somewhere
I’m just trying to deconstruct it all,
my landscape’s littered with thousands of restless wants
I can’t end up broken,
washed up upon these rocks,
I’m out of here as soon as I can break these locks,
pieces of me have splintered pieces of you,
neither of us are wounded,
these dismembered memories
will fix themselves with time,
I remember clearing the state line into Canada,
I’ve felt so much but seen so little
I’m yet to touch a love so brittle
as the night we shared a decade or so ago,
you kept pieces of me in Buffalo,
hold them tight, don’t let them go,
if I never return
take them to El Paso
bury them by the silos,
go lay on your back
on the dirt track
re-tread and map the journey
that splintered pieces of me
in your memory,
pieces of me and pieces of you,
caged, a dancing bear I can’t set free,
the years have scattered me
upon the pages of another man’s story





No comments:

Post a Comment